French breakfast muffins (or sometimes known as french breakfast puffs)
|1 1/2 cups||all-purpose flour||195 g|
|1/2 cup||white sugar||100 g|
|1 1/2 teaspoons||baking powder||2.5 g|
|1/4 teaspoon||ground nutmeg||0.5 g|
|1/4 teaspoon||salt||1.5 g|
|3/4 cup||milk||180 mL|
|1/3 cup||melted butter|
|1 teaspoon||pure vanilla extract||5 mL|
|1/4 cup||melted butter|
|1/3 cup||white sugar|
|2 teaspoons||ground cinnamon|
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease muffin cups or insert muffin liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, add the egg and milk, beat lightly then add vanilla extract. Now add 1/3 cup melted butter and beat mixture together (allow butter to cool slightly before adding, or it may start to cook the eggs).
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. It’s alright if the batter is slightly lumpy.
- Spoon batter evenly into the 12 prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and set aside until cool enough to touch
- In a small bowl, combined 1/3 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon.
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter.
- When french breakfast muffins are cool enough to touch, dip the top of the muffin into the melted butter and then into the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Best served warm.