These chicken fingers come out so tasty and crispy, it’s hard to believe they are not fried.
|2 lbs.||boneless, skinless, chicken breasts||908 g|
|2 cups||panko breadcrumbs||112 g|
|2 tablespoons||butter or margarine||30 mL|
|2 tablespoons||all-purpose flour||16 g|
|1 teaspoon||garlic powder||3 g|
|1/2 teaspoon||chili powder||1.25 g|
|1/2 teaspoon||crushed black pepper||1.25 g|
|1/2 teaspoon||salt||3 g|
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut chicken breasts into strips, around 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick; set aside.
- Melt butter or margarine (or optionally olive oil) in large skillet over medium-low heat. Add in panko breadcrumbs and sauté, moving breadcrumbs around frequently, until golden brown. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl add eggs, flour, garlic powder, chili powder, black pepper and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Take cut chicken pieces and coat thoroughly with egg mixture, then dredge in the panko crumbs. Place on a baking sheet lightly coated with cooking spray or covered in aluminum foil.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown, turning chicken over at the halfway point. Serve with dipping sauces of your choice.
Tips & Tricks
- Sautéing the panko breadcrumbs in critical to the final crunchiness and success of this recipe. Don’t skip that step.
- Cooking the chicken strips on an oven-safe baking rack, instead of directly on the pan surface can increase crunch and remove the need to flip chicken halfway through baking.