Creamy cheese sauce infused with the smoky flavor of bacon creates a comforting dish sure to be a hit with the whole family.
|4 cups||medium pasta shells, uncooked||400 g|
|4 cups||fresh spinach leaves, coarsely chopped||140 g|
|5 - 6 pcs||sliced bacon||142 g|
|3 tablespoons||all-purpose flour||24 g|
|2 cups||milk||480 mL|
|2 1/2 cups||shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided||250 g|
|1/4 cup||shredded Parmesan cheese||25 g|
|1/4 cup||shredded Gruyère cheese||25 g|
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Prepare pasta according to package directions adding the spinach in final minute before draining.
- While the pasta is cooking, add sliced bacon to pan and cook until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving the drippings in pan. Chop bacon and set aside.
- Over medium-low heat, add flour to bacon drippings, stirring until mixture bubbles. Gradually add milk and bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly.
- Add 1-1/2 cups (150 g) of the Cheddar cheese along with the Parmesan and Gruyère cheese; stir constantly until melted.
- Add drained pasta, spinach and bacon to sauce; mix well.
- Place mixture into a 2 qt. (2 L) casserole dish and top with remaining 1 cup (100 g) of Cheddar cheese. Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until heated through and cheese is fully melted.